Saturday, March 3, 2012

Taboos. And some more travelling.

Sorry it's been a while!
Went to Kokrobite beach last Saturday, which is about an hour or so drive from Accra. It was a really last minute decision to go. I heard about everyone's plans the night before and was considering going, and then in the morning decided not to because I woke up too late. But then as I was heading out to go find something to do by myself around the city, I ran into my friend outside of ISH just as he was getting in his car to go meet everyone there. So I ran and got my stuff and went with him. The beach was beautiful, and it was just perfect weather that day. Later at night, we listened to a live reggae band (even got on stage at one point) and had drinks and chatted and walked on the beach a bit. It was wonderful because it was cool and breezy at night and there were so many more stars out than there are when you get closer to Accra. It doesn't sound like a very eventful day, and I know my descriptions of things are lacking in detail, but I think it was probably the best day I've had since I've been here. I was just in the best mood all day. I'm not really much of a writer so it's hard for me to put it into words.  I just really love the coastal areas further away from the city, like Kokrobite and the area around Cape Coast. It just has a much different feel than Accra does, in that it's much more laid back and relaxed, the people seem more chill, and the scenery is beautiful. I love it so much. Not that there's anything wrong with Accra, but it is nice to get away from the busier feel of the city every now and then.

On an unrelated topic, I started working at West African AIDS Foundation on Thursday, and I loved it. I'm so excited about this, because it's exactly what I wanted to do. We went to a primary school in Haatso to give them a presentation on HIV/AIDS. I mostly observed, but it was still really interesting. I was blown away by how much the kids knew already about not only HIV, but sex ed in general. They were all around 9-14 years old, but they all just knew so much. Much more than I think they teach at the same level in American schools. (I was pretty shocked by some of their questions, but I won't get into that. It's funny that something that came out of a 9 year old's mouth is too inappropriate for my blog, but that's the truth.) I was surprised to see how non-taboo that subject is here. Which I think is actually a good thing because then it's easier to get people to talk about stuff like HIV when it's much more of a problem here than in the states.
I used to think that sex was really taboo here, because they told us in orientation that public displays of affection and stuff like that are pretty taboo, but I've slowly come to learn that sex is actually talked about quite a bit. Even just the other day, we had a guest speaker in my development studies class who was talking about population growth and family planning, and he ended up giving way too much personal details about his own sex life and use of different types of birth control. It was super unnecessary to share, in my opinion, but whatever. There's only 13 of us in that class, all from my program, and this speaker asked the only guy in our class if the pull-out method works for him. I couldn't believe he thought that was appropriate to ask someone. That aside, it was pretty hilarious.
That's another thing. I feel like there's some discrepancies between sex education in the US and sex ed here. Because we had a professor of population studies recommending the pull-out method to us as a form of birth control that is considered legitimate in Ghana, whereas in the US everyone's taught in sex ed class that it's not a reliable method by any means. We told him that, and he was actually surprised.
So anyway, all that was kind of interesting to me.
But back to the school thing. It was so much fun to go there and see what primary schools are like. They're really disciplined and the teachers seemed really strict. The kids stood up every time they asked or answered a question, and they all stood up when an adult entered the room, and other stuff like that.  They were all so adorable too. They called me Auntie Hannah and were begging me to come back next week. I think I will, because I loved them so much. And the fact that they called me Auntie made me just die. I'm used to being awkward around small children and so the fact that these kids loved me so much made me so happy. I realize it mostly had to do with the fact that I'm an oburoni, but whatever.

So today, we took a day trip to the eastern region to a city called Aburi, where we toured a cocoa farm and a botanical garden and stopped at a street lined with little shops that sold wood carvings. So I bought a few gifts for people and practiced my bargaining skills. I was aight. Got some cool stuff for pretty cheap.
Overall it was a pretty good day. Aburi is so beautiful. It's on a hilltop and the view while driving up there was amazing. And the gardens were also really beautiful. The more I see of this country, the more I feel like it'll be really hard to leave when it's time to. I can't wait to travel more. I'm starting to plan a trip to Togo with 3 other people a couple weeks from now, and eventually I want to head up north to Mole National Park, where you can see lots of elephants and stuff. Other than those trips and the 2 I have left with CIEE, that's probably about all I can do without going broke. But I'm really excited about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment