Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Weekend in the Volta Region

Last Friday morning my friend Tali and I left for the Volta region. I don't have class on Fridays, so we left at about 6 in the morning and left to catch a trotro to Hohoe, which is about four hours away from Accra. From what I've described about trotros so far, you'd think it'd be pretty hellish to be on one for that long, but it's actually not that bad. We got on one with a really nice amount of leg room, which is pretty ideal for me. Usually those things don't accommodate my legs, so I have to sit awkwardly sideways, but the one we took was pretty comfortable. So we got off about three hours in to the ride at a village called Tafi Atome, where they have a monkey sanctuary. When we got off we were planning on taking a taxi, but instead we met these two guys who offered to take us on their motorcycles instead for quite a bit cheaper than a taxi. It sounded like fun, and I had never ridden a motorcycle before, and there weren't any taxis around anyway, so we did it. And it was so much fun. The scenery around there was amazing too. My driver's name was Elvis. He was cool, but he failed to warn me about the exhaust pipe, and so when we got to the monkey sanctuary I got off on the wrong side and I hit my calf against the pipe and burned my leg. I wasn't worried about it because it actually didn't hurt at all after that, but it started looking worse and getting more painful in the next couple of days, so I went to the hospital on Sunday night and it turns out that not only is it a second degree burn, but it's also really infected. Yum. It's all good though. They gave me antibiotics and I'm going to go back pretty frequently to get the bandage changed.

But in any case, the monkey sanctuary was really awesome. The tour guide brought a bag of bananas and was calling the monkeys out as we were walking through the forest, and it took a while but they eventually showed up. So she had us hold the bananas in one hand really tightly, and they just come right up and jump on you and eat right out of your hand. I was so excited. Except it was kind of scary when two of them started fighting over the banana I was holding when they were on top of my shoulders. I got a scratch on my arm from one of them out of that little tiff. (I immediately thought of that one Hey Arnold episode where Helga gets scratched by a circus monkey or something and starts thinking that she got a rare monkey disease where you turn into a monkey…if anyone knows what I'm talking about…I know Stephie knows.)
And then after that we went to another nearby village where they weave authentic Kente cloth. We learned about the history of it, like how it was one of the first methods of weaving clothing in Africa and how the patterns all mean something. And they gave us a tour of the village and showed us how it's made and then both Tali and I bought a strip of fabric for ourselves. They sell Kente cloth at art markets all around Ghana, but I thought it would be cool to buy it at that village since I met and talked to the guy who made it. His name was Mowli, which I guess is a different name for Emmanuel. Here's a picture of him wearing the kente strip I bought from him:

I thought that village was really cool though. Pretty much everyone who lives there knows how to weave, because they all start learning around age 7, both men and women. And there are steps to the learning process too, like you have to learn how to make the threads into yarn before you can even start learning how to weave, etc. So that's basically how the village makes their living, by just weaving and selling the fabric to the markets in Accra and Kumasi. It was really amazing to watch them make it too, because they can do it so quickly! It was very cool.

So after that we took another hour-long shared taxi ride into Hohoe, where we caught another taxi to Wli, which was the village where the hotel was. It's so beautiful in that village. We were surrounded by mountains and no matter where you looked it was just a fantastic view. The village was really rural and remote, and we couldn't even get cell service where we were. Which wasn't bad, except for the fact that Tali and I were waiting for two of our other friends, Zoe and Rachel, to show up at the hotel that night and we realized after we got to the area without cell service that we had forgotten to tell them the name of the hotel. Whoops. But there were only two hotels in the area within a five minute walk from each other so they found it just fine.
So then on Saturday, Zoe and Rachel went off and did the hike up to the Wli waterfalls, and Tali and I stayed and hung out around the village for the day. On Sunday we did the hike and the other two went to see the monkey sanctuary on the way back to Accra.

I can honestly say without exaggerating that this hike was the most physically challenging thing I have ever done in my entire life. But it was really rewarding. So there are two parts to the hike, the lower falls and the upper falls. It takes about 45 minutes to walk to the lower falls, and it's all just a flat walk. That part was fine. Then we started the hike to the upper falls. And it was insane.

First of all, we had this character of a tour guide named Wisdom Mighty. He was super chatty and had pretty much boundless energy. He did the hike in flip flops and was just trotting along, chatting on his cell phone and making excuses to his friends about why he wasn't at church that morning. He did all this while climbing an effing mountain without even breaking a sweat. Meanwhile Tali and I are trailing about fifty feet behind him, huffing and puffing and "sweating like pregnant fish" as he playfully described it, and begging for water breaks about every ten minutes. It was a hell of a hike. And by that, I mean it was hell. Except there were pretty views the whole way up! So I guess that took my mind off of it for very short periods of time, when I wasn't concentrating on trying not to faint/vomit. And there was one point where Wisdom stopped us, took off his shoes, and disappeared for like five minutes into some tangled bushes up this steep incline and came back with some fruit called Angaa or something like that. It was extremely sweet, and tasted kind of odd. I don't know how to describe it. Maybe like some sort of weird fruity jelly candy. Or maybe like lychee fruit, but even sweeter than that.
Also, here's a picture of me ready to pass out, while Wisdom is chatting away on his phone in the background:


So by the time we got up to the falls, we had been hiking for a little over two hours. (Imagine doing one of those stair climber machines for that long on uneven steps with a walking stick. That's how I felt.) Zoe and Rachel told us that the top would be worth it, and for the entire hike up, I didn't believe them because it was so exhausting. But it really was worth it. I don't know if it was how beautiful the falls were or just the sense of accomplishment, but being up there was just wonderful. Plus we got to sit down and enjoy the mist and eat the crackers and cookies we brought along while Wisdom taught us some Pidgin phrases like "Eyy Chale day break" which means good morning. And he taught us the hand signal that means "one love".  And then we had a little sing along, to the tune of All in One by Bob Marley. (I think we were a little loopy from exhaustion by that point.) But it was fun. Until we had to hike back down. It took less time than the hike up, but it was just as difficult because it took a lot more concentration not to lose my balance. My legs felt like jelly and I almost fell several times, and I was so exhausted and almost to the point of having a two-year-old style temper tantrum because I just wanted a shower and a bed more than anything I've ever wanted in my life. But we got back to the bottom in about an hour and a half or so and headed back to Accra that afternoon. I was fine again once I had rinsed off a little bit at the hotel, had my wound re-dressed, changed into dry clothes, and was safely on a trotro waiting to head back home with a cold sachel water in one hand and ice cream in the other, being entertained by the guy trying to sell these little booklets that seemed to contain all kinds of random information ranging from chinese zodiac signs to premature ejaculation. Don't ask me what that was about, because I have no idea.
But overall I had a really great weekend. It's funny how you can sometimes look back on things like that hike afterwards, and be glad you did it and only concentrating on the really great part and the sense of accomplishment, rather than the fact that getting to the falls was so insanely difficult. Or seeing this festering, infected burn wound as a memory of a really fun day instead of regretting taking that motorcycle. I have no regrets about the weekend whatsoever. Every painful or otherwise difficult moment brought me something else to look back on with great memories. And now I'll probably have some really nasty scar on my leg that will have a bit more of a story behind it. Which, I admit, will be kind of cool because right now the only scars I have are from minor surgery and from when I fell off my scooter in fourth grade. (#firstworldproblems)

I also enjoyed this weekend because I really enjoy being in more remote, less crowded areas. And walking down quieter streets, hearing "Hello, you are welcome!" by the nice people who live there. And the hotel owners took really good care of me with my burn and everything, and everyone around was just very welcoming and friendly. And the little kids were adorable too. One little girl who looked like she was maybe two or three years old just walked up to me, and grabbed onto my pointer finger and just waddled down the street next to me and wouldn't let go for a long time.
It was a really nice place to stay. I loved it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment