Thursday, April 25, 2013

(Don't) grill me a cheese.


All moved in to my new place. I know I keep promising pictures, but honestly I keep forgetting to bring my camera to work to upload them so I’ll stop making empty promises with the word ‘soon’ in them. One of these days I’ll get to it. Maybe.

Roommate situation is okay so far. In the past couple of days, there have only been some slight annoyances and one significantly more aggravating incident involving a burnt grilled cheese sandwich, but I will spare you the details, because I might just get angry again. Hopefully there won’t be too many problems. It kind of feels like freshman year of college again, this whole moving in with a stranger business. (At least it worked out the first time around! Shout out to Alex, and happy birthday on Sunday!) But who knows what I got myself into this time… he seems nice enough, so I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt for now. For those of you who may be worried that this situation presents a safety concern, worry not. All of my lovely, intelligent coworkers know this dude and could assure you that he’s harmless.

Things at work are still going well. Not much new there. Although there was some slight drama in the office the other day involving someone at the New York office. I don’t actually know what exactly went down, but everyone was a super tense all morning and I didn’t like it. Normally everyone’s really chill and eating junk food and making fun of each other. That’s the type work environment that I like. It suits me.

Other stuff…yesterday I ate a falafel sandwich that I bought at a German bakery in Guatemala. Globalization, guys. It’s really a thing now.

I bugged my boss yesterday (politely, of course) about going on another community visit. Looks like I’m going to get to go to another one sometime in May. And she wants me to write a blog post for the MG website. So once that’s up, I will notify you all to look for it there! Exciting stuff, kind of.

Still haven’t found a way to crack those macadamia nuts. Although I’m afraid of improvising again because I might seriously injure myself. I’m open to suggestions (unless the suggestion is a crack-a-mac—that is not exactly a common household tool, Mom). I don’t have proper kitchen utensils for this. These horrible things have shells made of steel, I swear to god. Never again will I be bamboozled by street vendors. I’m learning by trial and error every day.

I’m just going to go ahead and apologize for the lack of super-interesting things in this post, and in other posts... This is not your typical travel blog, and I am very aware of that. I’m trying to think of more intelligent-sounding observations for this blog without also making it boring, but honestly I feel surrounded by Americans lately, and I’m trying to figure out a way to change that. I’ve lost track of my Guatemalan friend David, because he doesn’t have a cell phone so I can’t make plans with him. And I need to practice my Spanish, because the most Spanish I’ve spoken all week was when I went to the plastic store today (yes, the plastic store) to buy a bucket. Sometimes I also try to chat with the bartenders at the bar I frequent. (They think my name is Hannie. I haven’t bothered to correct them because my sister calls me that sometimes and I miss her, so I just let it happen. Love you, Stephie!) Anyway, I’m going to ask my coworker to take me to the place where she takes Spanish lessons, and I’m signing up ASAP. I refuse to face the pathetic irony of getting worse at Spanish while spending 4+ months in Central America. I could keep a second blog in Spanish, but I’m not going to do that because that’s more work for me, and also it would definitely sound like a four year old wrote it, and no one would read it.

How about I leave you with another helpful Guatemala tip of the week, dear readers?

--Never trust a dog with your laundry. No—never trust a dog with anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment