Friday, April 8, 2011

Waaaiting

All I can do is wait now. I went to the courthouse yesterday to get my passport, and after I gave the woman there all the information needed for the application and it was all done, she asked me why I didn't go to Chicago because I needed the passport sooner than 2-3 weeks so I could get a visa. And I told her about how the lady on the phone from the passport hotline told me I couldn't get the passport sooner than the expedited processing time for a visa until after April 24th, the day I need the visa. So that didn't make any sense to me, but I was like okay, I won't go to Chicago then.

But then this lady at the courthouse tells me I maybe COULD have gone to Chicago, but she wasn't sure. She didn't think the hotline lady made any sense either. So just to make sure, I asked her if I could go out into the lobby to make a phone call to the Chicago office to ask them directly, but she just said "you already gave me your application. If you go do that, I'm going to have to tear up this application and you're going to have to start again from scratch." All I wanted to do was step outside for like 5 minutes to make a PHONE CALL and she was going to make me do it all over again just because of that. I started to argue with her, but then she got all defensive and cranky and I realized it wasn't even worth it. If I ended up having to go to Chicago, that would mean spending a shit ton of money in bus and cab fares and probably other shit like food for the day, losing my entire Monday and missing a day of German, and then if the government shuts down if they don't figure out the budget by midnight tonight, then I wouldn't have any more options. I would have missed my only chance to get my passport app in for processing ASAP and I would be even more screwed than I am now. And then if I had left to make the phone call and she tore up my application, and I find out that Chicago still isn't an option, then I would've had to go back home, re-do the app, print it out, and I don't have any ink left so I'd have to pay for it at the library, and then walk allll the way back to the courthouse and do it all over again.

It all just wasn't worth it. One thing I hate more than anything is stupid bureaucratic rules in government offices that make stupid, simple things extremely difficult.
And if the government still shuts down, none of it was worth it. Sooo yay.

But anyway, besides Sri Lanka, most plans seem to be solidifying for the summer. Class, working full time, apartment stuff, etc. I can't wait for summer. I need to write these papers and take my finals and figure out this Sri Lanka shit and move on to summer. I'm stressed out, and I need to not be anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment